Skip to content
Home » What did you expect!?

What did you expect!?

  • by

The more clients I deal with the more I see this being one of the biggest determining factor for success in business and conversion copy…

It’s not research…

It’s not the words you use…

It’s not even your branding or design.

I’m talking about setting and meeting expectations.

As Matt Watkinson says in Mastering Uncertainty:

“It is breathtakingly obvious that people’s expectations determine their perception of the quality of a product, service, or interaction, yet we seldom manage these expectations as carefully as we should, and issues can easily arise that tarnish our reputation.”

Fail to manage expectations and you’ll see your clients or customers bounce.

I talked in the past about how in the context of a page, you should use the first 10% to match expectations visitors have after landing and the remaining 90% should exceed them.

But you also have to account for all the micro conversions throughout the page.

And when it comes to clients, once a project starts, I have to curate every single interaction, check in, and delivery.

So, how do you set and meet expectations effectively?

Be transparent and upfront. Clearly communicate the features, benefits, and potential drawbacks.

This way, you’re giving them a realistic understanding of what they’re signing up for.

Deliver on your promises. Once you’ve set the expectations, it’s crucial to follow through. Keep your word and deliver on your promises.

If you don’t, you risk losing credibility and trust with your customers.

Monitor customer feedback. Listen to what your customers are saying about their experiences.

Use their feedback to refine your offerings and continuously improve.

Adjust your messaging. As you learn more about your customers and their expectations, adapt your copy to reflect these insights.

Your messaging should always be evolving to ensure it remains relevant and resonates with your audience.

And lastly, the kicker that separates the pros from the amateurs…

Under-promise and over-deliver. By setting expectations slightly lower than what you know you can deliver, you create an opportunity to exceed your customers’ expectations and leave a lasting impression.

Let’s wrap it up with some action steps, shall we?

  • Review your current copy and messaging. Are you accurately setting expectations for your customers? If not, revise your messaging to provide a more transparent and accurate picture of your offerings. For example, instead of saying “Our product will change your life,” try “Our product can help you save up to 30 minutes per day.” This way, you’re setting specific and realistic expectations.
  • Implement a feedback loop to monitor customer satisfaction. Use this feedback to make continuous improvements and adjustments to your messaging. For example, create a simple survey for customers to complete after they’ve used your product or service. Ask about their experience and whether it met their expectations. Then, use their responses to fine-tune your messaging and ensure you’re hitting the mark.
  • Embrace the concept of under-promising and over-delivering. This approach will help you exceed customer expectations and foster long-lasting, positive relationships. For instance, if you know your delivery time typically takes two days, promise delivery within three days. When the customer receives their order early, they’ll be pleasantly surprised and more likely to become a repeat customer.

I’ve seen these strategies work well both in my business and personal life.

It’s about being deliberate and intentional about the message you convey.

And always willing and open to adjust and improve.

Speaking of expectations… you can expect more and better content coming soon, on all social platforms I’m on.

Let’s hang out.

Quote and reflection of the day:

“Even though you know principle, you must make yourself perfectly free in the use of technique. And even though you may wield the sword that you carry with you well, if you are unclear on the deepest aspects of principle, you will likely fall short of proficiency”

  • TAKUAN SOHO, The Unfettered Mind

Always follow good thinking with proper action. And make sure you follow your actions with proper reflection. When one goes missing you stop the flywheel of momentum and learning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

brain dump?

Every week I write about what I’m learning at my copywriting/UX desk ,with fun, insightful and quirky stories.

Let’s nerd about decision making, persuasion, habits, and conversion optimization.